Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Welcome to our Blog!

I decided to start up a blog for our hula halau. This is where you can come look for updates, upcoming events, and any other pieces of information I think you'd be interested in. Under each post, you are also welcome (even encouraged) to leave a comment or question. I will check this blog regularly so I can keep this fairly accurate and updated.

So far, I have had so much fun with the girls! We have learned four new hula steps and are working on mastering each one. These steps include:
  • Kaholo (vamp)
  • Hela (point)
  • Umi (circle of hips)
  • Kahulihuli (sway)
At each practice, the girls learn new Hawaiian vocabulary. I try to only say the Hawaiian words so they can become very familiar with each one. The girls have picked up the language so easily. We also have been learning about telling stories using our hands along with our feet. The motions we used at this point are:
  • Makani (wind)
  • Mauna (moutains)
  • Kili (rain)
  • Kumula'au (tree)
We have been working on two dances. Each dance is full of rhythm and fun lyrics. The two we spend the most time on right now are:
  • Hukilau Song
  • Out on the Beach at Waikiki
I will make copies of all the songs learned this session (until Dec 16) on a CD for only $5. This way the girls can practice and perform their dances as they please. Just let me know if you're interested.

We are getting closer to our Winter Recital. We will have it on the 12th of December. This date is still subject to change. I will be sure to let you know as soon as I get things finalized.

1 comment:

Ralaina said...

I would like the CD Heather.